Thursday, March 16, 2017

Week 5: I Remember Nothing

Hello,

Another week, another... I don't know, car? Anyway, it's that time of week again when I post my update on the comings and goings of Sun Devil Racing, and it must have been an especially exhausting week, since I can't seem to recollect much at all from what happened. Fortunately, I took notes, and like the movie Memento, will use those to reconstruct what transpired in the grimy den of the Sim Building.

On Tuesday, the electrical lead instructed me on how Arduinos worked, how to use a stepper motor, and on the operation of the linear potentiometer and Hall Effect sensor present in the vehicle. He also introduced me to Arduino coding, and gave me a crash course in C++ as it relates to that specific microcontroller. I am already familiar with the language, so picking up the ropes wasn't the hardest thing to muster.

In an out-of-the-ordinary kind of way, I came in on Wednesday to collaborate with a fellow intern (Alan) whom I don't normally see in the lab, as our "shifts" hardly ever overlap. I spent the day CNCing a part, fabricating the hub caps on the manual lathe, and helping around in other small jobs here and there.

Thursday, I helped craft a specially designed parts list for the purposes of documenting the construction of this year's car for future Polytechnic Baja teams. By the end of the endeavor, every part of the car had been scrutinized for material content and construction technique. After that, I was taught how to use SolidWorks, 3D modeling software for solid mechanical parts, so that I could begin to design some of the parts on the car.

Saturday, I spent the whole day in the manual lab (9 hours) fabricating plastic buffers for the joint that holds the uprights. The difficulty in the task arose more from the quantity of pieces we had to produce and less from the actual fabrication.

That's all for now, readers.

Thanks,
Max

No comments:

Post a Comment